ROAD OF THE DEAD HIGHWAY TO HELL #1 CVR B MOSS
ROAD OF THE DEAD HIGHWAY TO HELL #1 CVR B MOSS
…quick words slipped into Blood Magik: Living Hell in LA (Book Three) this morning, getting back to the start of a mid-novel showdown twenty (of my character’s) years in the making. This one has a lot of potential for fantastical, apocalypse-world imagery since it’s taking place in the center of a bit of “terraforming” being orchestrated by the elemental, Raze: one of my demon queen’s twelve elite demons. These extraordinarily powerful entities don’t play too much into the plot, but have a final purpose in the overall story that won’t be revealed until the end of the Blood Magik saga. Until then they’re more like obstacles to have to work around while navigating through the New Hell. And this one is gonna help set the stage for a pretty savage beat-down. Fun times. =D Get in on the growing saga by getting your exclusive, collectible copy of the start of it all on my web page –> BloodMagik.com <– while they’re still discounted. Gonna be doing my first con next weekend in Yuma so it would be safer to get yours now since this edition is extremely limited. Also, follow my personal journey to becoming a better writer. The stuff I put together now is embarrassingly better than what I put together in the first book. Not the story, but the writing. I actually spent over a year updating Book One just so it could come close to what I’m actually capable of now, but compared to Book Three it’s hardly even noticeably the same writer (aside from my cheesy sense of humor). This too can make make Book One even more of a collectible, so don’t wait much longer. The first run will likely be gone soon. \m/
Reminds me a little of the animation from Mars Attacks 😁 Gud chit. Art by @limkuk on insta
Pretty sure I slaughtered this fucker. 😬 I think I might bring this gun and some targets to #Yumacon and set it up so peeps can shoot #zombies and earn a % off of a purchase. 🤘 Stop by my Blood Magik booth if you’re gonna be there and take your shot at getting the #book or other #collectibles discounted. 🧟♂️🧟♀️
I paid for a t-shirt design on fiverr.com so I’d have a shirt to rock at cons and the dude sent me back some utter crap. I went ahead and did this one myself (added the border, posterized the image to give it that water color look in the background, added the red stress marks around the edges and some more blood speckles throughout). Whadda ya think? o.0
I got my first ever booth at a con in Yuma on Oct 6th, bitches! \m/ \m/ It’s a little one (convention), which is good, because I have no idea how well I’ll do. I got migraine issues and dizziness that comes with it (which sparks anxiety…) so I’m not very sociable for any longer than an hour. But I got fam in Yuma who are gonna help me out and take over the booth if I have to escape for a few hours, so we’ll see. Any ‘Zoners amongst you? (That’s peeps from AZ, for the laymen.) Let me know if you’re gonna be there. If you’re a follower and are there I’ll give you a free copy of the book. I’ll also be pushing a select few boxes of comics (since it’s a comic con) and maybe some action figures. I’ll be saving most of the horror stuff for horror cons, tho (assuming I’ll survive this one and want to do more). And, as always, slip on over to BloodMagik.com to get your copy if you can’t make the con. Look for the exclusive Pure Art edition that’s limited to 500 copies. Support indie horror scribes and fellow tumblr horndogs!
GET BIT!!! -z
Ok, so, in Book Three of my Blood Magik saga (I call it a saga instead of a series because it’s all one story, but who knows… It’s its own universe, after all, so may turn out to be a series yet) I pay homage to some of my favorite writers (who are almost all from the UK) by creating a Cockney zombie character I call the Gent. He’s this eerie sort of heckler out of place and time who shows up to test the Coach’s mettle when he’s nearly lost it. A gangly ol’ “sod”, the Gent just may be what tears a tight-knit gaggle of apocalyptic do-gooders apart. Here’s a little taste:
wasn’t long before their resolve was tested.
particularly awkward gangrel with a top hat and a chewed-at human finger-bone
between his teeth moseyed toward them, eyeing their raised weapons with retinas
ablaze and gore-stained hands held high. The Coach usually wouldn’t have
bothered entertaining the notion of any other option other than war, but the
peculiar dress-wear and stroll of the dead-man put his priorities on a tilt,
slightly sloping toward curiosity. His reason, of course, eventually tipped the
scales and his trigger-finger tensed, but before the hammer went clink, the stranger spoke.
“Oi oi… A wee bit lairy, are we? I’m not
here to mess you about, guv. Only curious.”
wasn’t the painfully thick accent that gave the Coach pause… It was the
creature’s denotive curiosity. It seemed…unique
in its ways. That and his style resembling an early nineteenth century
Englishman was slightly bewitching.
off, dick-snot. We’re not here to shoot
the shit with homeless dead-heads,
alright?” Regardless of his own curiosity, he still didn’t feel the urge to be
“Heh. Always did fancy the mouth on you septics.
Randy as a rat-arsed dollymop, the lot’a ya!”
more step and I turn yer brains back to dirt, shit-bag.” He couldn’t discern
much detail through the mists other than the twin-tailed black tux and red
eyes. His pant legs hung inches above his ankles; long arms extending well past
his jacket’s sleeves. The Coach couldn’t decide if the dead-thing was actually from the eighteen-hundreds or
just peculiarly fashioned: some sort of uber, new-age hipster who thought dressing
like Abe Lincoln was the bee’s-fucking-knees. “Keep those filthy paws where I
can seem ’em, son. Only reason you ain’t a stain already is ’cause yer no
threat to me. I’d rather not raise a stink right now if I don’t have to, but
I’d rather raise one than allow you
any sorta notion you got a shot at The Champ.”
you then, mate? Fancy yorself king of
the bleedin’ pilloks?” He waved his arms around to aggrandize, then lowered
them with several tsks escaping his
dead tongue. “How, then, fairs His Majesty with naught but a single subject to
fuck you talkin’ about?”
flock, guv. Flown away off ta the bog,
’ave they? Abandoned their mates for a unified ‘wringing of the socks’?”
shifted against the tree they perched under at the mention of their backup.
What the hell was this lunatic getting at?
’ave you a scheme a bit more potty to
dazzle me wif? Say…a trap, perchance?”
carousing winds parted the mists enough for the Coach to catch a glimpse of his
inquisitor. His thin face did justice to his slight frame, with ears like
satellites angled to refract covert, international intel. Blood as thick as
paste painted a Joker-like smile that enhanced his already deranged aura from
nutcase to super villain. And he stood crooked – always – shoulders angled so
his left arm seemed inches longer than his right. That long arm lifted to pry
the finger-bone from his teeth just before the mist again coalesced until he
was just a shade in a garnet soup.
One thing I’ve realized is how much more potent an accent is in writing when it’s written like it sounds, but this can also be a bitch to read for those who aren’t used to reading it. So how’d it go for you? Tough to get through? Thanks for the feedback, zompeeps. \m/ -z/cm
The top 5 things you will NOT FIND in my zombie novel:
1. CORPORATISM: There are no businesses, cooperate superpowers, cooperate lackeys, yes-sir/no-sir, right-away-sir fascism, capitalist greed or anything remotely related to politics or the super rich.
2. DRAMA: Now, this one is more specific, but was a goal of mine to avoid. What I mean by drama is shit like typical “relationship” drama; as in family tension, best friends fighting over a girl, couples fighting over attention, social ranks arguing over who’s right and wrong. These type of things are all generic, everyday, mundane, fucking imbecilic bullshit that writers throw into stories to either act as fillers to kill time, or to “connect” on an emotional level with their readers/viewers. Connecting emotionally is not a bad thing…but when they use the same goddamn bullshit over, and over, and over again it’s just a severe lack of imagination and a waist of time. I was sure not to expend any energy on these types of generic fillers and stick with what actually mattered.
3. ROMEROS: (I’ve heard that term used before to describe typical, brain-dead, shuffling zombies and thought it nailed my point). Not to knock a classic, but the Romero zombie is the most widely used version of the living dead, so I decided to switch it up in all possible aspects. My mythos is entirely my own. My zombies talk. They run. They laugh. They plot, scheme, terrorize, have powers gifted to them through blood magic, do not die when shot in the head, do not turn you with a bite. This is not a disease. This is magic. Fantasy. A twist that has, of course, been done, but seldom to the extent I’m taking it throughout the course of the books. Book One is only the tip of the bloody dagger, my friends. And there are a lot more than zombies running around to contend with in the future of this saga.
4. RELIGION: Ironically enough, considering one of the main characters is an “ex man of the cloth” and the premise of the whole zombie caboodle is a new Hell on Earth, I did my damnedest to leave religion out of it. I wanted to avoid anything that’s been overly used in the genre so there is no religious nut preaching the Word, or references to Satan and the bible’s version of the Apocalypse. I created my own goddamn devil, for shit’s sake, just so I could avoid the one everyone else is going on about. As I said in #3, this mythos is entirely my own, from the bottom up. The only thing borrowed is some of the obvious concepts such as heaven and hell, zombies and demons. But the rest I developed from scratch.
5. AWESOME: Wait, what…? YES…you will not find that fucking word used a single time in my novel. It is disgustingly overused in marketing, dialog and (I know I’m calling out the entire planet here but…) in every day exchanges. This goddamn word haunts me at every flick of the station, every casual conversation, every episode or contemporary story. It is a “safe” word (not to be confused with a “safe-word”) that is put in place of a more creative or “vulgar” one to express excitement. It’s what we say to little kids because we’re not comfortable blurting out “that’s fucking badass, little dude, yeah!”. Sure, there is a time and place for that word, but it is NOT in a goddamn zombie novel.
So these are a few (of many) of the things I did differently to be sure my zombie story was unlike any other. To learn more about the book and how you can get your limited-to-500 Pure Art edition (signed by moi), slide on over to BloodMagik.com and poke around a bit. Check out the “Take A Taste” link to sample the prologue, or the “Our Story” link to read more about my philosophy behind creating it. For the ebook (for a limited time) use codeword GoPriestsGo to get the download for a price of YOUR CHOOSING. And, don’t worry, I’m really eager to get this out to as many people as possible so it is PERFECTLY OK TO ONLY PAY A PENNY. This is the first book in (hopefully) a saga, so I’m more than willing to give it away for practically free. The more people who read it the better. If you like what you’ve read here, please REBLOG. And, as always, thanks for being a part of the New Hell, my ornery zomfolks.
GET BIT!!! -z/cm
The Pure Art limited edition of my #zombie #fantasy #novel, Blood Magik: A Cold Day In Hell now available on Bloodmagik.com! A contemporary #horror fantasy that takes the zombie mythos for a joyride through unconventional. These dead talk. They laugh. They pillage. They…save your meaty ass from becoming chow? Indeed, not all undead are out to eat you in this mashup of sports and fantasy. When undead jocks may be your only hope of making it out of LA alive, there’s a damn fair chance you’re utterly fucked. Use codeword GoPriestsGo to get the #ebook at a price of your choosing, and grab a signed copy of the 6×9 paperback while you still can. -z
Who votes the artist should’ve added some popcorn spilling out of his mouth? Lets see a show of hands 🤚🤚Grimy work by @dankobasicarts on insta.